PLANNING - Adaptation of a novel/short film
Adaptation Idea
So there's no point in just sitting around talking about getting a project going... I need to put pen to paper - well fingers to keyboard in this case!
A nice simple idea for a film would certainly be and Adaptation of a short film/ Novel. It would help me a lot in the planning process as the story line would already be there. I would have to be careful about plagiarising other peoples work, so when choosing a novel I would be sure to stick to a text such as Shakespeare that doesn't have any copyright issues. So a big rule for me would be to stick to stories in the Public Domain. I didn't have much knowledge about the Public Domain or copyright so I looked into it because, if there's one thing I don't want it's to create and amazing film and end up owing LOADS of money!
The Public Domain Explained :The Public Domain refers to properties that are available for anyone to utilize, thanks to copyright expiration, copyright loss due to loopholes and mistakes, death of the copyright owner, or failure for the copyright owner to file for the rights or extension to those rights. [1]
I do feel that this would be a really entertaining idea of project because, I would be able to turn something - a tale- that I feel lacks creativity into something fantastic! It would really allow me to get creative with a well known story that I am now bored of, maybe choose a story that lets me relive a bit of my childhood. I would however, be concerned about the idea that maybe I would feel constrained to the story line and maybe get too bogged down by that and then that would ruin the creativity that I have discussed above. Maybe I could modernise the stories as they are all very old texts.
I found a few stories that are potential projects:
- Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde By Robert Louis Stevenson 1886> This would be great, as I studied it at GCSE. So already know loads about the characters.
-The Wizard of Oz By L.Frank Baum 1900 > I loved this film growing up and I believe it would be a great opportunity to use loads of effects and a broad variety of micro-elements.
- The Secret Garden By Frances Hodgson Burnett 1911 > Again this would be fab with micro-elements. It's a well known story and I could maybe add more exciting twists. I don't know how I would direct it or where I would locate filming.
I think I would struggle more with casting and directing as the characters are so well known and set in everyone's minds. It is certainly an exciting approach to consider.
A nice simple idea for a film would certainly be and Adaptation of a short film/ Novel. It would help me a lot in the planning process as the story line would already be there. I would have to be careful about plagiarising other peoples work, so when choosing a novel I would be sure to stick to a text such as Shakespeare that doesn't have any copyright issues. So a big rule for me would be to stick to stories in the Public Domain. I didn't have much knowledge about the Public Domain or copyright so I looked into it because, if there's one thing I don't want it's to create and amazing film and end up owing LOADS of money!
The Public Domain Explained :The Public Domain refers to properties that are available for anyone to utilize, thanks to copyright expiration, copyright loss due to loopholes and mistakes, death of the copyright owner, or failure for the copyright owner to file for the rights or extension to those rights. [1]
I do feel that this would be a really entertaining idea of project because, I would be able to turn something - a tale- that I feel lacks creativity into something fantastic! It would really allow me to get creative with a well known story that I am now bored of, maybe choose a story that lets me relive a bit of my childhood. I would however, be concerned about the idea that maybe I would feel constrained to the story line and maybe get too bogged down by that and then that would ruin the creativity that I have discussed above. Maybe I could modernise the stories as they are all very old texts.
I found a few stories that are potential projects:
- Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde By Robert Louis Stevenson 1886> This would be great, as I studied it at GCSE. So already know loads about the characters.
-The Wizard of Oz By L.Frank Baum 1900 > I loved this film growing up and I believe it would be a great opportunity to use loads of effects and a broad variety of micro-elements.
- The Secret Garden By Frances Hodgson Burnett 1911 > Again this would be fab with micro-elements. It's a well known story and I could maybe add more exciting twists. I don't know how I would direct it or where I would locate filming.
I think I would struggle more with casting and directing as the characters are so well known and set in everyone's minds. It is certainly an exciting approach to consider.

Comments
Post a Comment