PLANNING - SURREALISM
Surrealism
Surrealism is one of the Film topics I really enjoyed. Something I found very interesting about it was when we learnt about Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dali - how they came up with their screenplays. The lack of thinking was turned into their thinking. Their one rule was so long as there was no logical reason for an idea, then it was allowed to be included. I just think this would be a fab way to work. I could work along with music to end up creating a really unique piece. Of course, I do have a few concerns with this idea as it will be very difficult to pull off. Through film and learning all of the techniques , and doing a lot of written practice on analysis… it is inevitable that I think about what I'm doing etc. Especially as I will be slowly learning how to use screenplay writing websites so I won't exactly be the speediest. Also I don't want to loose marks for lack of talent of creative devices by having a screenplay that I just cannot work with. At the same time I think this actually gives me so many opportunities to show my talent. In a surrealist piece it's completely up to me what camera angles to use and I can go all out on any techniques I've ever wanted to try.
It's harder with surrealism to put an idea down because, it is more about what happens in the moment. I have below a list of surrealist techniques:
- Rejects traditional narrative structures and relationships between time
and space.
- Unconventional character construction or lack of
character roles.
- Disassociates iconography from its predictable meaning(s).
- Challenges the standard relationship between the spectator and the
text.
- Challenges the status of institutions and
questions social hierarchies.
- Uses juxtaposition of imagery to challenge and
shock.
- Creates thematic binaries.
- Rejects rationality and realism.
- Rejects genre identification.
- Offers new uses of film technologies and techniques.
- To externalise subconscious desires.
- To investigate subjective and objective.
- To reject film styles and movements which have gone before.
So long as I stick to this list I should be able to create a fantastic surrealist film.

Comments
Post a Comment