RESEARCH - Ex Student
Neil Thompson
In the continuous search for the best ideas and advise I met Neil Thompson a former student at my college who can proudly say that his own film actually made it into a Film Festival! Impressive I know. Of course this is a perfect opportunity for me as I'm starting out on my project. He came to one of our classes and gave all his little gems of advice. We also got to watch his amazing film Reflection, which really was a superb concept and got my own creative juices going once again!
Initial Advice:
- Brainstorm Ideas
- Go through short films on list as well as others, even documentaries for a change up. (Can be found on Vimeo and Short of the week)
- Think about creating a scene that would work well mid feature film .
- Short film = 1 scene/encounter.
- Universal scenarios. For example being late for an interview. Something one can relate to.
- When watching short films count how many shots in each scene. (Usually about 5/6 for a standard conversation.)
Short films - Style, Themes and Structural. Watch short films of the genre you want to do.
Think of limitations and resources you have, then make a story out of that. Think about who is going to be acting. When you've picked an idea just go with it. Make it as easy for yourself as you can. Just keep it simple.
How to plan:
- Script - Few Drafts - Changed it a lot.
- Celtx online for script writing.
- Share work with each other
- Draft it ASAP. Page of script = 1 min of film.
- Make it shorter and then you can pad out with establishing shots.
- Don't write down the shots in the Screenplay.
- Not too many characters.
Need to include: Script, Storyboard/Shot list, Filming Schedule and Risk Assessment.
Each scene = master shot so everything is in it. Good with editing because, then as a filler you can always go back to that shot.
Location:
Find a good location if you can (Look on Google Earth) Think about sun for lighting, check location in advance, think sound and take photos.
Actual Filming: (End of October) - That's in a month! I need to get writing!
- For each angle film the whole scene then you can cut it later.
- Pay attention to the sound, you can use Boom Mics.
- Camera and Headphones (MY JOB)
- Boom Mic (SOMEONE, BUT I DIRECT THEM)
- Actors
- When Scripting think of what sound I can use - Eg. what is in Operator?
- Run through the scene with actors first and then film it.
The Editing Stage:
- Watch through the footage.
- Pick what you like and drag it into the timeline.
- There are induction sessions for this available (Which is amazing because, I will certainly be going to one of them!)
- Dialogue from someone while they are off screen then cut to them.
- Cut on an action like long shot 'grab mug' close up.
- EMI production music site - This is fab for free music to use in the film.
It was quite a bombardment of hints and tips but, all much appreciated. It allowed me to have a viewpoint from someone who has completed the course already. It also helped me to understand the timings and fast pace of the challenge I have to complete. I think I have been looking at it all in a very leisurely manner and now I have a sense of urgency that along with the excitement will create and adrenaline rush that should hopefully produce my Marvellous Movie!

Comments
Post a Comment