RESEARCH - The Fly
Narrative: Inciting incident - Fly showing up. Rising action - Air bag. Climax - Shoots car. Resolution - Police car. It's about a getaway driver that becomes so irritated by the fly in his car that he ends up ruining the whole bank robbery by shooting the car and becoming in quite a crazy irritated state.
Genre: Dark comedy
Representation: Putting a comedic spin on certain bad criminals. It is supposed to be viewed as lighthearted. Making a mockery of criminals.
Audience: Positioned in front of the car. This allows the audience to maintain the same feeling of frustration as we too are trapped in a certain position. We feel as if we are in a small confined space. Feel like we are waiting too. The audience is aligned with the Getaway driver.
Micro Elements: Cut off to muffled voices of serious event. This is used in order to show a contrast between the scene we are aligned with and the event that is going on. The event he is in fact a part of. It pans out at the end of the film. This gives a sort of relief that we are free from the fly, but also emphasises what a stupid situation it was because, he has messed up the whole experience of the bank robbery purely because of a fly and now he will never have his freedom again unlike the fly that is free to fly away just like the panning out. It also amplifies the sound of the fly buzzing which is great as it allows us to feel we are trapped with the fly - not watching it. We too are the getaway driver.
What did I like?
I did like the concept behind the film and the comedic aspect. It is clever how the director uses camera angles to make us also feel trapped. This is impressive as usually you do feel that you are watching the event from afar. And in this situation if we felt that way we probably wouldn't have the same annoyance about the fly and then the whole short film would fail. I like also the contrast of the serious event and how we have been placed with another situation that you just wouldn't imagine to be going on. It is quite humorous how there are people being shot at and attacked and this man ends up injuring himself to almost the same extent. I did like the minimalism that was seen in this short film.
What didn't I like?
I didn't really like the story line in general. It did nothing for me. I didn't really find it very funny and personally I felt that the film dragged somewhat.
What can I take from this?
I didn't really like the film overall and I don't plan to take much inspiration from it if I'm honest. I don't really relate to the annoyance of a buzzing fly so maybe that's why I didn't like it as it wasn't relatable to me in any way. I think out of the list there are just so many other films that work better. I won't be taking the length from this film. Although it is only about 6.5 mins long it felt like it went on forever. I think this is perhaps because I was bored so I will attempt to create a film that even if it has a slow plot it will feel nice and speedy. Perhaps the dragged out feeling was intentional because, of course he is supposed to feel like time has stopped he is stuck he can't go anywhere until the men have finished the job so for now he's trapped with the fly.
Genre: Dark comedy
Representation: Putting a comedic spin on certain bad criminals. It is supposed to be viewed as lighthearted. Making a mockery of criminals.
Audience: Positioned in front of the car. This allows the audience to maintain the same feeling of frustration as we too are trapped in a certain position. We feel as if we are in a small confined space. Feel like we are waiting too. The audience is aligned with the Getaway driver.
Micro Elements: Cut off to muffled voices of serious event. This is used in order to show a contrast between the scene we are aligned with and the event that is going on. The event he is in fact a part of. It pans out at the end of the film. This gives a sort of relief that we are free from the fly, but also emphasises what a stupid situation it was because, he has messed up the whole experience of the bank robbery purely because of a fly and now he will never have his freedom again unlike the fly that is free to fly away just like the panning out. It also amplifies the sound of the fly buzzing which is great as it allows us to feel we are trapped with the fly - not watching it. We too are the getaway driver.
What did I like?
I did like the concept behind the film and the comedic aspect. It is clever how the director uses camera angles to make us also feel trapped. This is impressive as usually you do feel that you are watching the event from afar. And in this situation if we felt that way we probably wouldn't have the same annoyance about the fly and then the whole short film would fail. I like also the contrast of the serious event and how we have been placed with another situation that you just wouldn't imagine to be going on. It is quite humorous how there are people being shot at and attacked and this man ends up injuring himself to almost the same extent. I did like the minimalism that was seen in this short film.
What didn't I like?
I didn't really like the story line in general. It did nothing for me. I didn't really find it very funny and personally I felt that the film dragged somewhat.
What can I take from this?
I didn't really like the film overall and I don't plan to take much inspiration from it if I'm honest. I don't really relate to the annoyance of a buzzing fly so maybe that's why I didn't like it as it wasn't relatable to me in any way. I think out of the list there are just so many other films that work better. I won't be taking the length from this film. Although it is only about 6.5 mins long it felt like it went on forever. I think this is perhaps because I was bored so I will attempt to create a film that even if it has a slow plot it will feel nice and speedy. Perhaps the dragged out feeling was intentional because, of course he is supposed to feel like time has stopped he is stuck he can't go anywhere until the men have finished the job so for now he's trapped with the fly.

Comments
Post a Comment