RESEARCH - The Ellington Kid




Narrative: The film is about two boys in a Kebab shop, where one makes up a story about a potential stabbing that took place, resulting in deaths and perhaps the burgers being human meat! 

Genre: Mystery and/or crime. Also slight Dark Comedy.

Representation:  We see the film through a series of flashbacks and it represents stereotypes and what we could imagine happen in 'dodgy' Kebab shops. It is light-hearted and just shows boys chatting and having a laugh. It doesn't have a deep message for representation it is more there for the comedy.

Audience: We are positioned alongside the friend hearing the story the flashbacks help us to imagine what is going on. We are placed able to watch the two sat at the table. But maybe we are sat as if we are on a nearby table listening in. Near the end we catch a glimpse of the Kebab owner and he looks as if perhaps this fictional story made up by a friend could perhaps be true? We are left like the boys ... unsure and uneasy.

Micro Elements: Some of the high angles of the Ellington Kid when he's on the floor are really good they make him seem vulnerable and the Kebab owners seem really in power. I also like the use of flashbacks throughout to really set the scene and keep the story of the film going in a more exciting way. I like the props of the knives and the costume of the gang because it contradicts with the Kebab workers in a humorous way. The boys act tough but when confronted with real conflict they have absolutely no chance.

What did I like?
I liked the clips going along with the story it meant you could bring it slightly more to life and kept you engaged. I liked the simplicity of the kebab shop and the story line altogether, it's just a bit of gossip that goes too far! By having one setting that we keep coming back to but also appears in the tale in a very different light we feel slightly uneasy this keeps a thrilling sense to the film. I liked the simple plot overall, the way it started with the mate asking what he was having, and when he saw it was a burger the whole film was able to establish from this small fact. It's got a great 5 act structure within a tiny film. I also like the into of 'True Story'... 'Kind of'' as it adds a witty feel.

What didn't I like? 
If I had to pic something I didn't like maybe I'd say some of the acting wasn't as good as in other films, however I can't really fault this film much it's one of my favourites. Some people I watched this with didn't like the flashbacks they said they'd prefer it more minimalist but I couldn't disagree more.

What can I take from this?
I want to take the idea of having a voice over while you are viewing something else on screen I think it means you can move the story forward more with more mystery and without a high budget.

Comments