RESEARCH - Slap




Narrative: The film is all about a boy coming to terms with the idea that he enjoys dressing up in female clothes and makeup. Despite having a girlfriend. It is powerful and builds up lots of tension throughout the film. He is also a boxer which adds to the narrative as it displays two, perhaps, polar opposites when viewing masculinity. The storyline shows him coming to a party dressed as a girl and coping with the emotional consequences of not being accepted.

Genre: Drama

Representation: It is a film representing people who are questioning their gender or sexuality through a powerful film. It shows what is expected of them and the mental strain this can cause. It is clever because it represents them not only visually but, also mentally showing the emotional confusion that can sometimes not be recognised when looking at someone who is questioning themselves in such a way.

Audience: As the audience we are aligned with the main character, we travel with him as he worries and tries to keep his big secret behind closed doors. While other characters in the film are unaware (Such as his girlfriend) we know what is coming. By being placed in the know it adds more tension for us because, we are waiting every second for the secret to be spilled.

Micro Elements:  This film certainly has a wider range of shot types in comparison to some of the other short films I've watched. Perhaps this is because it is 25 mins long while the others are often below 10 mins. I do like this aspect though however, in my short film perhaps too many shots within a short space of time will make the film too busy.

What did I like?
I loved the way the tension was built up throughout the film. I also loved the excitement when his friend was being beaten up and it brings the fear that his friend isn't going to accept him. I love the sequence where he is looking at himself in the mirror it's such a fab shot because, you have the viewpoint as if you are in the mirrors perspective. This is quite a personal shot as that's an intimate moment between him and himself. I also just really respect the brave choice of genre and topic that has been chosen, as it's easy to create a horror film, comedy or love film. But this has taken a difficult subject and worked with it which is just amazing.

What didn't I like? 
I didn't like how the scene in the party was filmed, I feel there was an error from the director there, as it was supposed to be a grand reveal and the size of the room used really made the number of people seem insignificant and small, in comparison to the size of the emotions felt in the scene.


What can I take from this?
I can learn that the size of a venue can really change the impact of a film. It has shown me that perhaps I have a small cast then a smaller venue is necessary so that the characters aren't swallowed up in space. Of course that's different when thinking of a big breathtaking establishing shot that can perhaps emphasise how small a character is. But I think I've learnt that for the settings I'm going to b using mid shots and close ups will be the way to go. Also, the idea of choosing perhaps a more challenging topic of genre and story line really appeals to me I think I will use this in my own film. Perhaps I could do something focusing on love and loss, and struggling with moving on mentally.




Comments