RESEARCH - Tight Jeans





Narrative: The inciting action would be when the boy walks past in his very tight jeans. 

Genre: Comedy.

Representation:  It is filmed through the Black boys eyes and has opinions from their point of view on things. We don't get to have any actual facts it's all just their own guesses. Like gossip.

Audience: We are positioned with the boys as if we too are waiting, we view the situation like them, sat on the side unable to do anything about it. But we have full insight into what is going on. 

Micro Elements: Establishing shot of a normal market. It sets the scene for where the teenagers live. It is quite a long intro but, it also adds a comedy aspect to the film because, it shows that the film is lighthearted. The characters don't move but the panning of the camera keeps our eyes interested. The bright colours of their clothes contrast with he rest of the area, this allows them to stick out for us.

What did I like?
I loved the clever way the camera pans and follows the emo boy with the tight jeans. It adds a feeling of fear, you assume that they are going to do something as it's three against one. So then the light release of humour when they only comment on the jeans hits us harder. I like the casual chatter of the conversation we feel comfortable to listen in. We feel welcomed and this makes us feel more comfortable to laugh along. I liked that without much happening you still felt engaged. The cut to the balcony is very clever because it gives us a slight bit of hope that perhaps they won't have to wait much longer and then it cuts back to the wall as another character walks by and silly conversation starts over.

What didn't I like? 
I personally felt that the lack of change in camera angles at the beginning did drag the film out slightly, but later on this is improved by the shots being changed slightly. I felt perhaps the film dragged for too long however, I understand where the director was coming from and the intention to make us feel we too were waiting around. Hopefully impacting why you'd end up being sat just having a silly conversation.

What can I take from this?
I suppose I can take from this the minimalist approach. You don't need loads of props or venues it can be just as effective without. Also that there doesn't need to be a giant story line to make a fab film!




Comments